These roasted vegetables served on a bed of creamy whipped tahini make a hearty and delicious side dish.
These roasted vegetables served on a bed of creamy whipped tahini make a hearty and delicious vegan side dish.
I am using rainbow carrots, tenderstem broccoli, chestnuts, pomegranate seeds, and parsley. This recipe is versatile and can be customised to use whatever vegetables you have at hand. You can substitute the chestnuts with toasted hazelnuts, pecans, or walnuts.
The whipped tahini base is made in a food processor while the vegetables are roasted in the oven. With added garlic, lemon juice, salt, and maple syrup it has tons of flavours.
This is a recipe that you can serve all year round but it also works really well at this time of the year as a holiday side dish. It is best eaten when the vegetables are still warm.
What is whipped tahini?
Whipped tahini is my latest obsession. I serve it as a dip, spread (instead of mayonnaise), salad dressing, a topping for grain bowls, or sauce for different types of roasted or raw vegetables.
Whipped tahini is very easy to make and absolutely scrumptious. All you need is a few ingredients (lemon juice, garlic, salt, maple syrup, and water) and a food processor. The tahini paste is whizzed together with the rest of the ingredients while water is added slowly, in a similar way oil is added to mayonnaise. The mixture is whipped until it becomes light, airy, and smooth. You can adjust the consistency of whipped tahini by varying the amount of water.
What to serve with these roasted vegetables with whipped tahini
This roasted vegetables with whipped tahini is a versatile dish that pairs well with a variety of sides. Here are some ideas for what you can serve alongside:
- Serve the roasted vegetables over a bed of cooked quinoa, rice, bulgur, couscous, wild rice, or farro. The grains will add substance and make the dish more filling.
- Add a plant-based protein like grilled tofu, or tempeh.
- Flatbreads or Pita:
- Warm flatbreads or pita on the side for a delicious way to scoop up the roasted vegetables and whipped tahini. It’s a great option for creating wraps or sandwiches.
- Cauliflower Rice:
- Substitute traditional rice with cauliflower rice for a low-carb option that pairs well with the roasted vegetables.
- Chickpeas or Lentils:
- Cooked chickpeas or lentils can be a nutritious and protein-rich addition.
Watch how to make these roasted vegetables with whipped tahini
I hope you enjoy this roasted vegetables with whipped tahini recipe as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Roasted Vegetables with Whipped Tahini
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 250 g carrots
- 200 g tenderstem broccoli
- 180 g cooked chestnuts, peeled
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
FOR THE TOPPINGS:
- Seeds of ¼ of a large pomegranate
- Handful for freshly chopped parsley leaves
FOR THE WHIPPED TAHINI:
- 115 g tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice, to taste
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup, to taste
- 80 ml water, plus more to taste
- salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F.
- Cut the carrots lengthwise into quarters. Cut the tenderstem broccoli lengthwise into halves. Halve the chestnuts.250 g carrots, 200 g tenderstem broccoli, 180 g cooked chestnuts, peeled
- Place the carrots on an oven tray and toss in vegetable oil. Roast for 10 minutes.2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Toss the broccoli with the carrots and roast together for another 10 minutes.
- Toss the chestnuts with the broccoli and carrots and roast together for another 7 to 10 minutes until the vegetables are soft and golden.
- In the meantime, make the whipped tahini: Place the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and maple syrup in the bowl of a food processor. With the speed on medium, drizzle the water through the feed tube. Whizz until smooth and creamy. Scrape the sides of the food processor bowl from time to time so that all the ingredients are well combined. If desired, add a little more water to adjust consistency.115 g tahini, 2 cloves garlic, grated, 3 Tbsp lemon juice, to taste, 1 Tbsp maple syrup, to taste, 80 ml water, plus more to taste
- Season the whipped tahini to taste with salt, and more lemon juice and/or maple syrup if needed.salt, to taste
- To serve, spoon the whipped tahini on a serving platter. Top with the roasted vegetables, pomegranate seeds, and chopped parsley.Seeds of ¼ of a large pomegranate, Handful for freshly chopped parsley leaves
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!