This smashed avocado toast with poached egg & harissa makes a wholesome alternative to a traditional cooked breakfast.
Looking for a delicious and healthy breakfast or brunch option? This smashed avocado toast with poached egg & harissa makes a wholesome alternative to a traditional cooked breakfast. The creamy texture of the avocado is complemented beautifully by the soft, boiled eggs. For an added kick, top with some harissa for a mildly spicy, sweet flavour that goes well with the smooth avocado and savoury poached eggs!
Fiery Harissa is a match made in heaven with eggs. Originally from Tunisia, you can use harissa to perk up a lot of vegetable dishes. It is available in most supermarkets.
Quick and easy to make you can also serve this smashed avocado and poached eggs on toast recipe for brunch or lunch.
How to make this recipe
The most important thing to remember is to make sure the eggs are very fresh otherwise, otherwise, they will be difficult to poach.
Start by scooping out the avocado flesh and mashing it with a fork in a small bowl with lemon juice, spices and herbs. Next, poach an egg in boiling water for about 3 minutes until the whites are set but the yolk is still runny. To do this, whisk the water to create a gentle whirlpool before delicately placing the egg into the simmering water.
In the meantime toast a slice of bread to your desired level of crispiness. Once the bread is toasted, spread the mashed avocado on top.
Carefully remove the egg from the water with a slotted spoon and place it on top of the avocado toast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy your delicious and nutritious breakfast!
Here are more breakfast recipes you may like to try:
I hope you enjoy this smashed avocado and poached eggs on toast recipe as much as we do. If you do make it, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Smashed Avocado Toast with Poached Egg & Harissa [vegetarian]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 1 ripe organic avocado
- 1 organic egg – must be fresh
- juice 1/2 organic lemon
- 1 Tbsp organic sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp of harissa – to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- small bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 slice of your favourite organic bread
- In a small bowl, mash avocado flesh with a fork. Mix in lemon juice, ground cumin, sunflower and 1 Tbsp of chopped coriander leaves. Season to taste with salt.
- Heat some water in a small saucepan. Add some vinegar in the water. When water is boiling, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Crack the first egg and place in a ramekin.
- Whisk the water to create a gentle whirpool.
- Delicately place the egg into the simmering water.
- Poach the egg for around 3 minutes.
- Remove with a perforated spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Spread smashed avocado on a slice of bread. Top with the poached egg.
- Serve with harissa on top and a sprinkle of chopped fresh coriander leaves.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!