A beautiful rainbow of spring colours, this Broccoli Brown Rice Asian Salad is vegan and gluten-free. It makes a satisfying and hearty meal bursting with goodness.
Filled with vegetables, seeds, mung beans and rice tossed in a refreshing lime and herb dressing, this dish will not only stand proud on a buffet table but also make a great option for picnics or lunch boxes.
You can easily swap the rice for quinoa or another whole grain. Mung beans make a nice alternative to lentils and are a good source of plant-based protein, fibre, antioxidants.
It is best to make this Broccoli Brown Rice Asian Salad a few hours ahead so that to let its wonderful flavours develop.
Broccoli Brown Rice Asian Salad [vegan]
- 2 saucepans
- mixing bowl
- 225 g brown and wild rice mix
- 200 g mung beans
- 275 g broccoli florets
- 1 carrot
- 1 handful radishes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 to 2 handful pumpkin seeds
- 3 limes
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 5 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp agave syrup
- 2 cm [0.8 inches] of freshly grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 small bunch of mint
- 1 small bunch of coriander
- salt & pepper
- Heat salted water in 2 different saucepans.
- Cook the brown rice in one and mung beans in the other. Make sure you do not overcook the rice and the mung beans. They should still have a bite. When cooked, drain and reserve on the side.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing together Dijon mustard, garlic, lime juices, sesame oil, vegetable oil, soy sauce, cider vinegar, ginger and agave syrup.
- Cut the broccoli into small florets and steam for 3 mins or so until just cooked.
- Put the rice and mung beans in a large salad bowl. Add the grated carrot plus finely sliced radishes and red onion on top.
- Top with the broccoli, finely chopped mint and coriander.
- Toss all together in the dressing until coated all over. Season to taste.
- Serve at room temperature sprinkled with pumpkin seeds.
I cannot wait to see your posts!