Fancy a quick and easy dinner? This broccoli curry with chickpeas can be ready in just under 30 minutes. Vegan and gluten-free, this recipe makes a tasty and satisfying meat-free meal option.
Fancy a quick and easy dinner? This broccoli curry with chickpeas can be ready in just under 30 minutes. Vegan and gluten-free, it makes a tasty and satisfying meat-free meal option.
I like to serve this broccoli curry with chickpeas on a bed of basmati rice, topped with crushed peanuts (for extra crunch), some freshly chopped coriander and sliced red chillies.
Leftovers are best reheated in the microwave to avoid having a broccoli puree the next day.
Broccoli is back in season this month and you can find more recipe inspiration here. Anti-Inflammatory and with antioxidant properties, it is a nutritional powerhouse. Such a versatile ingredient, it can be eaten raw, steamed, stir-fried or sauteed.
How to cook this broccoli curry?
The broccoli is cooked in a creamy coconut and tomato sauce, delicately fragranced with garam masala. The turmeric gives it a glorious glow while the chilli powder adds an extra kick that you can adjust to your own taste.
The most important thing with this recipe is to make sure you do not overcook the broccoli. It should be tender but still have a bite.
Once the vegetables are cooked, simply add three tablespoons of peanut butter (I prefer crunchy but smooth works just as well) for extra yumminess.
If you love broccoli, you should also try …
My vegan Roasted Broccoli on Toast with Butter Bean Hummus makes a delicious lunch and my vegetarian Broccoli & Cauliflower Cheddar Fritters a tasty dinner. For a quick nutritional morning boost try this energising Melon, Kale & Broccoli Smoothie
Curious about what raw broccoli tastes like? It’s delicious! One of my all-time favourite salads this my Broccoli Salad with Maple Ginger Dressing below. Topped with crunchy almonds it has a punchy maple ginger dressing. So good!
View this post on Instagram
Broccoli Curry with Chickpeas [vegan] [gluten free]
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 300 g tomatoes – roughly chopped in small dice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 450 g broccoli florets
- 400 g can chickpeas
- 3 Tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- lemon juice to taste
- fresh coriander
- red chillies
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic. Fry gently until soft.
- Add grated ginger, chopped tomatoes and fry gently together for a couple of minutes.
- Add garam masala, turmeric, chilli powder, vegetable stock and coconut milk to the pan. Stir until everything is well blended. Add the broccoli florets cut in medium size. Bring the boil, then stirring the broccoli from time to time, cook covered under medium heat for 10-12 minutes. The broccoli should be cooked but still have a bite.
- Add the peanut butter to the saucepan making sure that it melts in the curry sauce so there are no lumps. Add the chickpeas and cook for another minute or so.
- Season to taste with lemon juice and salt.
- Serve this broccoli curry with rice, topped with crushed peanuts, fresh coriander and sliced red chillies.
I cannot wait to see your posts!