Rhubarb like apples can be so delicious in savoury dishes. I have wanted to try making rhubarb risotto since making this Caramelised Apple Risotto by Healthy Recipe Ecstasy. I have to say that my husband both a fan of rhubarb and risotto was not initially sold on it. Yet when he got to finally eat it, he found it absolutely scrumptious – and is now asking for more.
Pink rhubarb will give a gentle glow to the rice, looking and tasting beautiful next to woody and green rosemary.
Rhubarb Risotto [vegetarian]
- large saucepan
- 3 medium rhubarb stalks – cut in 1cm / 0.4 inches chunks
- 2 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 red onion – finely chopped
- 350 g risotto rice
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 litre warm vegetable stock
- 60 ml white wine
- 75 g vegetarian parmesan-style cheese – plus extra for serving
- salt & pepper
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Gently fry the onion, garlic, rhubarb and 2 Tbsp chopped rosemary leaves until soft.
- Add the rice. Coat all over. When the rice is translucent, add the wine.
- Wait for the wine to evaporate, then add one ladle of vegetable stock. Simmer until the liquid has been absorbed. Stir from time to time so that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Keep on adding the vegetable stock ladle by ladle, until the rice is cooked. It should still have a bite.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the cheese. Season to taste. Cover with a lid and leave to rest for 2-3 mins.
- Serve straight away with some additional grated cheese and chopped rosemary on top if desired.
I cannot wait to see your posts!