A deliciously warming soup with Indian spices and ginger.
Temperatures have been so up and down lately that I resorted to making Warming Broccoli & Spinach Soup today. Not exactly what I had in mind for the broccoli and spinach I bought last week but the cold and rain made me crave something warming and comforting. For warmth, I have added some Indian spices and ginger and included chickpeas for added protein and iron.
This broccoli and spinach soup is pretty delicious and spot-on for this miserable Monday!
Warming Broccoli & Spinach Soup [vegan]
- handheld immersion blender
- 350 g broccoli
- 200 g spinach
- 500 g potato
- 4 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 bunch of spring onion
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2-3 cm ginger root [0.8 to 1.2 inches]
- 1.5 litre vegetable stock
- juice of 1 to 2 lemons
- 1 large bunch of coriander
- 400 g can chickpeas
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the finely chopped spring onion and crushed garlic. Fry gently with the cumin, coriander, mustard seeds, grated ginger and turmeric.
- Wash the spinach. Cut the broccoli into small florets. Peel the potatoes and cut them into small chunks.
- Add the vegetables to the saucepan. Stir and fry for 5 mins.
- Cover with the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Stir well. Reduce heat and cook for 20 mins until the vegetables are soft.
- Liquidise the soup. Add lemon juice. Season to taste. Add chickpeas.
- Serve topped with plenty of finely chopped coriander leaves.
I cannot wait to see your posts!