Soft and juicy on the inside with a crumbly oat topping, these chocolate & cherry muffins make such a delicious treat.
This recipe does not contain any nuts, so don’t hesitate to sneak a muffin into your kids’ lunchboxes. My children are always excited to find something chocolatey in theirs!
The oatmeal is made by pre-soaking some rolled oats in dairy-free milk so that they can absorb the moisture. As an egg replacement, I add a tablespoon of milled chia seeds to the oatmeal.
How to make these chocolate & cherry muffins
As I just mentioned the first step is to make the oatmeal but pre-soaking the rolled oats and milled chia seeds in dairy-free milk. For best results make sure you use rolled oats instead of quick oats.
While the oatmeal is resting you can start preparing the rest of the ingredients.
This is a straightforward recipe, but here are some tips and suggestions if you want to make adjustments:
- For the crumbly oat topping, make sure you use a neutral-tasting oil (I use vegetable oil rather than olive oil). The only strong flavour oil that would work here is coconut oil.
- I prefer using frozen cherries but if you have fresh ones these would work too.
- The chia seeds can be swapped for an egg. Simply whisk the egg lightly with the wet ingredients rather than adding it to the oatmeal.
Here are more muffin recipes you may like to try:
- APPLE CRUMBLE MUFFINS [VEGAN]
- BLUEBERRY LEMON MUFFINS [VEGAN]
- LOW SUGAR BANANA & STRAWBERRY MUFFINS [VEGAN]
I hope you enjoy this vegan chocolate and cherry muffin recipe as much as we do. If you do make these muffins, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Chocolate & Cherry Muffins [vegan]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 100 g rolled oats
- 240 ml dairy-free milk
- 1 tablespoon milled chia seeds
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 150 g light brown soft sugar
- 120 ml vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 overripe mashed banana (around 100g / 1/3 US cup of flesh)
- 150 g frozen cherries,, halved
- 75 g dark chocolate chips
FOR THE OAT TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons light soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (neutral tasting)
- Mix together the rolled oats, dairy-free milk and milled chia seeds. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the oat topping by mixing together in a small bowl 2 tablespoons rolled oats, 2 tablespoons plain flour, 2 tablespoons light soft brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Set aside.
- After the oats have been soaking for 10 minutes, preheat the oven to Fan 180°C / 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Place 12 large paper baking cases in a muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the plain flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and light brown soft sugar.
- In a separate bowl mix together the vegetable oil, vanilla extract and mashed banana.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients until well combined. Fold in the cherries and chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter evenly into each muffin paper baking case in the muffin tin. Share the oat topping evenly between the muffins
- Place in the oven for around 25mins. Insert a skewer to check they are cooked. A skewer should come out clean.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!