Are you thinking of adding more vegan dishes to your cooking repertoire but are not sure where to start? You are not alone. I meet many people who feel daunted by vegan food, unsure if it will be any good.
When I first became flexitarian, my knowledge of vegan recipes was literally limited to salads. Looking for plant-based ideas I was astonished to discover how diverse and delicious vegan cuisine can be. There are a lot of vegan dishes which are as good (if not better) than their non-vegan equivalent.
Here are 6 essential vegan dishes to get you started including some recipe ideas to try.
Scrambled tofu has a very similar texture to scrambled eggs. Add a little bit of turmeric (for colour) and nutritional yeast and you get a tasty vegan option ideal for breakfast, lunch or brunch.
- How to Scramble Tofu – via The Kitchn
- Jamaican Tofu Scramble [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Portobello Mushrooms & Tofu Scramble Ciabatta Sandwich [vegan]
- Simple Southwest Tofu Scramble [vegan] by Minimalist Baker
- The “no egg” Egg Sandwich [vegan] by The Flexitarian
Chilli is traditionally made with meat and the good news is that it does taste as good without it. Beans or lentils are an excellent source of protein so vegan chilli tends to be a very nutritious and hearty meal that is also filled with fibre while being lower in fat than the meat version.
- Loyal Lentil Chili [vegan] by Nourish Atelier
- Halloween Pumpkin Chilli [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Smoky Chipotle Chili [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Spicy Two-Bean Chili [vegan] via Epicurious
- Ultimate Vegan Chili by Vegetarian Times
Yes there is such thing as vegan cheesecake. The dairy base is replaced by tofu, nuts (such as almonds or cashews) or seeds. The nuts are soaked in water and blended into a rich and creamy mixture. You will find two types of vegan cheesecakes: raw (which need to be frozen and are served thawed ) or baked (which are served like conventional cheesecakes).
- Orange Oreo Cheesecake [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Baked Vegan Cheesecake by Vegan Richa
- Strawberry Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake [vegan] by Blissful Basil
- Cheesecake with Mango Lime Topping [vegan] by Connoisseurus Veg
- Vanilla Chocolate Chunk Cheesecake With Peanut Butter & Coconut recipe by This Rawsome Vegan Life
Yet again, a meat recipe gets a perfect vegan makeover. Mushrooms, quinoa, beetroots, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, beans etc.. all make scrumptious plant-based burgers. To enjoy without moderation.
- The Ultimate Veggie Burger [vegan] by The Awesome Green
- The Best Vegan Burger by Jamie Oliver
- Spicy BBQ Chickpea Burgers & Lightened-Up Crispy Baked Fries by Oh She Glows
- In-n-Out Copycat Recipe: Double Double NO Animal Style by Good Saint
- BBQ Black Bean & Jalepeño Burger [vegan] by The Veg Space
Another vegan morning staple, completely plant-based. Eggs are replaced by banana, apple sauce, chia seeds, flax seeds etc… while non dairy milk also takes centre stage.
- Banana & Date Muffins [vegan] [no refined sugar] by The Flexitarian
- Vegan Banana Nut Muffins for 2 by Minimalist Baker
- Vegan Blueberry Muffins by My Darling Vegan
- Banoffee Muffins [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Easy Vegan Blue Berry Muffins Recipe – Genius Kitchen
Cauliflower Wings & Steak
Chunky and hearty, cauliflower florets make perfect finger food while cauliflower heads can be cut into steaks. Enjoy them with a wide range of seasoning and sauces.
- Baked Mango Sriracha Cauliflower Wings by Vegan Richa
- Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower ‘Wings’ via PETA
- Jerk-Style Cauliflower Steaks [vegan] by Áine Carlin via Meat Free Monday
- Shawarma Roasted Cauliflower Steak [vegan] by Minimalist Baker