This crunchy Asian red cabbage slaw is tossed in a deliciously zingy lime dressing.
This crunchy Asian red cabbage slaw is tossed in a deliciously zingy lime dressing. Topped with peanuts, toasted sesame seeds, coriander and mint this colourful dish is bursting with so many delicious flavours.
You can enjoy this salad on its own, as a wrap filling or as a side dish.
Instead of a traditional mayonnaise dressing, I have made a zingy and flavoursome dressing with fresh lime juice, sesame oil, olive oil, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, sugar and soy sauce.
How to make this Asian red cabbage slaw
This is a very straightforward recipe but as the cabbage and carrot are eaten raw, you want to make sure you slice them thinly.
You can slice the red cabbage thinly with a sharp knife, but I find it easier to use a mandoline slicer. Watch out mandolines are really sharp. For the carrots, I use the coarse side of a cheese grater.
Once you have sliced the red cabbage and grated the carrots, you can dice the apple, slice the spring onions and chop the herbs.
Once you have made the dressing, you can toss the ingredients you have just prepared in it.
Peanuts come next for some added crunch. The sesame seeds are toasted dry into a separate saucepan and added last to this red cabbage slaw along with some red chilli slices.
Here are more Asian-inspired recipes you may like to try:
- ONE-POT ASIAN CABBAGE & RICE [VEGAN]
- CRUNCHY ASIAN SALAD WITH OUMPH! CHUNKS [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
- LOW CARB ASIAN SWEET POTATO NOODLES [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
I hope you enjoy this Asian red cabbage slaw recipe as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Asian Red Cabbage Slaw [vegan]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 375 g red cabbage
- 200 g carrot
- 200 g apple
- 5 spring onions
- 30 g chopped coriander
- 2-3 Tbsp chopped mint
- 75 g salted peanuts
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 small red chilli
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, cut the red cabbage into very thin slices.
- Grate the carrots on the coarse side of a cheese grater.
- Cut the apple into small dice.
- Slice the spring onions.
- Add the red cabbage, carrot, apple and spring onions together in a large bowl. Mix in the chopped coriander and mint, as well as the peanuts.
- Make the dressing by whisking together all its ingredients. Toss the salad in the dressing. Place on a serving dish.
- Dry toast the sesame seeds in a pan until golden.
- Top the salad with toasted sesame seeds and chopped red chilli.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!