Back at university, I spent a lot of time with a bunch of Spanish guys who took food very seriously. Dinners went on and on, to the disbelief of our American classmates who expedited their meals at the drive through. We took hours, had great laughs, never ending discussions and truly enjoyed ourselves.
Later on, when I lived in New York, my group of friends came from all corners of the globe. We organised “International Dinners”, a potluck evening where the only rule was to bring a dish from your country. What a fantastic opportunity to try cuisines we were not accustomed to.
Sharing and enjoying food between friends and family is a great way to spend time and connect. This is the theme of National Vegetarian Week so I decided to round up a bunch of my favourite vegetarian and vegan recipes. Share these dishes with others so they can see how delicious meat-free food really is.
Soup can easily be transported in a leak proof container and is ideal for lunch. A big salad where everyone can tuck into or something sweet for coffee break are also simple dishes you can enjoy with your colleagues.
- Courgette Tomato Basil Soup [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Mulligatawny soup [vegan] by Vegetarian Society
- Indian-Spiced Lentils with Spinach and Rhubarb [vegan] by Vegetarian Times
- Everything But The Kitchen Sink Pasta Salad [vegetarian] by Half Baked Harvest
- Rosemary Marinated Puy Lentil and Sweet Pepper Salad by Maple Spice
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Crunchy Spelt Raisin Cookies [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Vegan Carrot Cupcakes by Honestly Healthy Food
- Dates Walnut Coffee Cake [vegan] by Veg Recipes of India
Dinner with friends are drastically simplified when everyone brings a dish to share. Chilis, curries, lasagnas etc.. make perfect dishes for a casual and relaxed meal.
- Slow Cooker Quinoa, Sweet Potato, & Black Bean Vegetarian Chili by Kitchen Treaty
- Keralan Curry [vegetarian] by Jamie Oliver
- Spring Vegetable Paella [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Spicy Root & Lentil Casserole [vegetarian] by BBC Good Food
- Tortilla Lasagna [vegetarian] by Vegetarian Times
- Spicy Two Beans Vegetarian Chili via Epicurious
- Broccoli Brown Rice Asian Salad [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Veggie Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potato Mash [vegetarian] via BBC Good Food
- Sweetcorn Fritters [vegetarian] by Demuths
- Mushrooms & Herb Polenta [vegetarian] by Yotam Ottolenghi
- Potato, Mozzarella & Rosemary Pizza [vegetarian] by Jamie Oliver
- Mediterranean Quiche [vegetarian] via The Flexitarian
- Pear Bourdaloue [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Vanilla Chocolate Chunk Cheesecake With Peanut Butter & Coconut by This Rawsome Vegan Life
- Chocolate Courgette Cake [vegan] by The Flexitarian
Dips, salads and finger food are just what is needed for barbecues. For something straight forward you can also bring vegetables and fruits to cook directly on the grill.
- Spicy Pepper Cauliflower Bites/Wings with Celery Ranch [vegan ] by Vegan Richa
- Grilled Halloumi Skewers with Cilantro-Tahini Sauce [vegetarian] by Naturally Ella
- Brilliant Veggie Burger [vegetarian] by Jamie Oliver
- Kale, Coriander and Hemp Hummus [vegan] by Tinned Tomatoes
- Roasted Vegetable Couscous Salad with Harissa-style Dressing [vegetarian] by Delia
- Wild Greens, Chickpea and Ricotta-Feta Borek [vegetarian] by Food To Glow
- Courgette, Feta and Almond Muffins [vegetarian] by Cook Vegetarian
- Cumin-Roast Aubergines with Dates and Chickpeas [vegetarian] by Diana Henry
- Creamy Artichoke Dip [vegan] by 86 Lemons
- Mini Key Lime Pies [vegan] by The Minimalist Baker
- Grilled Peaches with Cinnamon Sugar Butter [vegan] by Bobby Flay
Having a dish that is easy to transport, serve and eat is key for a picnic. I love making big salads or quiches that everyone can eat heartily.
- Kerryann’s Turkish-style Couscous [vegan] via Jamie Oliver
- Kale Hummus [vegetarian] by The Flexitarian
- Asparagus, Sundried Tomato & Olive Loaf [vegetarian] by BBC Good Food
- Minty Black Bean Salad for a Crowd [vegan] by My New Roots
- Mexican Slaw with Black Beans [vegan] by Aggie’s Kitchen
- Summer Orzo Salad [vegan] by Oh My Veggies
- No-Chicken Coronation Sandwich [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Mediterranean Sandwich [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Wild Mushroom Tarts [vegetarian] via Red Online
- Strawberry and Black Pepper Biscuits [vegan] by Vegetarian Society
Have a fantastic National Vegetarian Week and make sure you add your favourite sharing recipes in the comments box below.